Monday, September 7, 2009

The dawn of a new blog

I believe that I'm at the beginning of a new chapter in my life. I kept a blog back years ago in my early college days (that I have long since lost the password to), and innumerable personal journals and diaries over the years, but because my most recent attempt at blogging (6 months ago) was a near-failure with an update rate of of one entry per 5 months, I decided that with a new chapter in my life begins a new blog. So...

A little bit about me. I moved to Texas two years ago, and began my life in Austin. Since then, many changes have occurred in practically every facet of my life. In this past year alone, I have become a very different person. I’ve grown up a lot, and feel as if I am finally finding myself. In this past year alone, two very big changes occurred in my life: one was my choice, and one was not. I made a very big decision about 9 months ago that the PhD track I was on was not leading me towards my dreams, and I did something that was both scary and exciting: I took action. I realized my unhappiness, and I decided I wasn’t going to settle for something mediocre. I wanted fulfillment, and I wanted to find a future that I would be passionate about. And I did…I found something that made me happier. I found a better life. The other incident is more personal, and I’m not going to divulge much detail about that except to say that likewise, I’m finding a better life.


So….I guess that is where I am now. I am starting my new program. I’m taking classes, and taking out loans (for the first time ever…*sigh*), and hunting for a part-time job. I’ve also gotten back into running and cycling (love my Cannondale!). This weekend was great. It started out nice and relaxing. I went out Friday night for a dinner date with my boyfriend, and then we watched some Planet Earth. Saturday was the first UT football game of the season, which was a blast. The game itself was fun, with a few really exciting moments, and right before the fourth quarter began it started to drizzle just a little. I love the rain, particularly in Austin where it has been absent for entirely too long. Mmm…especially warm rain. It has that smell of wet asphalt and sizzling concrete associated with it – entirely different from the bone-chilling cold autumn rains I grew up with in the Northeast. I would say the only downside about the game was that we were right near the cannon, and it kind of smelled like Bevo-farts every time the damn thing was fired off (which was often).


Sunday, I went to bf’s lab gathering down in the Hill Country. It was awesome…there was a donkey, and two horses (one of which I might actually start riding soon on a regular basis), and even chickens. I got to meet some new friends, and eat some phenomenal guacamole, and even hear the gory details of how a donkey is gelded.

Today was a lot of much needed “me” time. I cleaned, ransacked REI in the 5 minutes I had before they closed, put my new saddle on the Cannondale (with some assistance), cooked some din-din, and made some decaf Hawaiian Grog (which, sadly, now smells like writing my Masters’ thesis)....just unwound.

Ok. I think I’m going to practice some phonetics transcription before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment