Saturday, November 28, 2009

The most beautiful thing I saw all weekend

Today I experienced something beautiful.

I was driving over to check in on a dog I’ve been sitting for while his owner is away for Thanksgiving. I was upset over something (sidenote, people: there are right ways and wrong ways to say things – choose your words carefully). As I pulled up to a red light at an intersection of typical Texan highway pandemonium, the tears began to fall. A homeless man with a Sharpie-on-cardboard sign perched on a grassy median saw me, and began to approach my car.

He didn’t ask for money. Instead, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a clean napkin and offered it to me to dry my eyes. I immediately stopped crying.

Sometimes, the selfless beauty of human kindness just awes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment